Subject: Re: interleaved disk probing output
To: Alex Barclay <alex@planet-barclay.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/2003 19:35:37
On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 10:30:45AM -0700, Alex Barclay wrote:
> You could store the output from each driver and then as you advance
> through the tree output the data in order. This would not slow down the
> boot as it would only be the output that held.
>
> An example assuming wd came before sd which came before com
>
> t   action                  output
> 0   probed com0
> 1   probed wd0            wd0 at .........
> 2   probed sd0            sd0 at ...........
>                          com0 at .........

I'd hate to see an implementation that threw away data if the system
hangs before finishing. By throwing away, I mean the user never sees
it. What if the probe of the sd0 causes a hang? Nobody will ever
know about com0.
"Not even the dumbest terrorist would choose an encryption program that
 allowed the U.S. government to hold the key." -- (Fortune magazine
    is smarter than the US government, Oct 29 2001, page 196.)