Subject: Scheduling Threads With Differing Priorities
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/2003 10:58:09
Now that NetBSD has a (mostly) working pthreads implementation, one
of the things needed to make it complete is the ability to schedule
individual threads at independent priorities.  Because NetBSD's
pthread is a n:m scheduler, this is a non trivial amount of work.

Some issues to think about:

     if you have two threads at different priorities, do you give a
     priority boost when delivering SA upcalls?

     Do you keep a lwp per priority (at a minimum)?

     Do we add kernel support for SCHED_* types?

Just some things to think about...
--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/