Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/dev/ic
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/09/2003 16:20:43
In article <20031008190440.GA1102@antioche.eu.org> you write:
>On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:41:37PM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
>> Yes, we can.  There are really two cases:
>>
>> 1) Any IDE, EIDE or ATA controller+drive supports the alternate status
>> register.  This is the case where we expect to read a "0" if there is no
>> slave.  No problem.
>
>There is a controller (I don't remember if it's the amiga or atari's mainboard
>controller) that don't provide access to the alternate status controller.
>Someone familiar with the affected platform can probably confirm it.

One of the IDE podules I've got (hcide(4), for acorn26 and acorn32) seemed
to decode all the alternate status registers for its three channels at the
same address, or something useless like that.  It's possible I
mis-reverse-engineered it, though.

>> It's been 17 years since IDE was introduced.  There is no excuse for polling
>> any more.

For added fun, the card I'm talking about also doesn't generate interrupts.

--
Ben Harris