Subject: Re: [README] MI device major assignment
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/2003 14:14:33
[ On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 at 14:39:21 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [README] MI device major assignment
>
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 02:20:11PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>   | [ On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 at 11:44:17 (+0100), David Laight wrote: ]
>   | > Subject: Re: [README] MI device major assignment
>   | >
>   | > To improve the speed, you need to pipe into 'pax -M', otherwise the
>   | > cost of all the fork/exec becomes a problem.
>   | What about using mtree to do the actual work?
>
> mtree is in /usr/sbin
> pax is in /bin (and /rescue)

I should hope things like that (i.e. mtree) can be moved to meet new
requirements.  It's certianly not hard to move such a tool from
/usr/sbin to /sbin and if anyone really gets bent out of shape about
backwards compatability then it's trivial to leave a symlink in the old
location.

mtree seems to have far more capability for managing device nodes than
pax could ever have, and it should be just as efficient.

Shouldn't "we" be using the best tool for the job?

--
						Greg A. Woods