Subject: Re: mixer and OSS compatibility
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/2003 20:03:42
    Date:        Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:34:54 +0100 (BST)
    From:        David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>

  | 	That is displaying what the software value is, not what the
  | 	hardware was...

Yes.

  | 	Hmm - I think we have opposite view of what constitutes 'broken'
  | 	default behaviour, but both agree the other behaviour can be
  | 	useful in certain circumstances.

Yes.

  | 	I personally want an app to indicate what the real hardware is
  | 	set to, and when I say 'up one notch' that is exactly what
  | 	I want, rather than 'up, up, up, up, up(makes a difference)'.

That's just fine, I think all of that would be useful as well, for an
app that knows what it is doing.    Such an app can easily query the
granularity and set the appropriate value.  That is, it ought to be
able to be smarter than "add one".

What I'm concerned about is all of the semi dumb apps that just want to
convert "the user said louder" into "I am trying to make it louder" - the
user API is often a GUI, with pretty horrible granularity itself,
attempting to reconcile everything can make some horrible effects (like
GUI sliders that just won't sit where the user puts them..)

  | 	The granularity definitely needs to be exposed, whatever solution
  | 	is used.

Yes.

kre