Subject: Re: mixer and OSS compatibility
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/2003 10:29:28
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Robert Elz wrote:

>     Date:        Tue, 7 Oct 2003 23:29:37 +0200
>     From:        Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
>
>   | 4. Adding the Linux and FreeBSD scheme to our mixer driver. This might be
>   | the best (err, less worse) solution (although Lennart and David might
>   | simply not like it ;), but this is not necessarily easy given our current
>   | architecture.
>
> This is the right way to do it.   One of the roles of the OS is to hide
> dumb hardware design issues from the majority of applications that don't
> want to, and don't need to, understand any of this stuff.
>
> The real hardware granularity and range ought be available for those
> applications that really want to know - but nothing should be forced to
> care about that if it doesn't want to.

	Would this mean that outputs.master would not display the true
	granularity? eg: currently on a card here setting one up from
	239 results in the (true) value of 247 being set rather than
	a fake '240'.

	If the existing OSS or similar interface specified a behaviour we
	should match it, but if that behaviour is broken then we should
	not use it in a native interface.

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --