Subject: Re: [README] MI device major assignment
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/07/2003 11:44:17
> I'm working to improve this. Basically there will be MAKEDEV
> template and a MD config file. Platform MAKEDEV would be generated
> by script using the template and major mapping
> from sys/arch/*/conf/majors.* Any new entries would only need
> to be added to the template, i.e. on exactly one place.

I hope you manage to untangle all the MD definitions.....

To improve the speed, you need to pipe into 'pax -M', otherwise the
cost of all the fork/exec becomes a problem.

The other slow part is looking up uid and gid names.
Using the numeric values is faster, but there isn't a group version
of 'id', and 'id' itself is in /usr/bin so can't be used in MAKEDEV.
(pax will cache the lookup).

I added the -u #uid, -g #gid and -m mode options to mknod to help MAKEDEV,
but using them breaks running MAKEDEV on an NFS server.
Maybe that should just require a netbsd compatible mknod - could be a script!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk