Subject: Re: [README] MI device major assignment
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/2003 18:46:11
> Note that this is the device major assignment part only - it's still
> necessary to change every 51+ etc/etc.*/MAKEDEV when a new device
> is added to kernel. I'm working on that part too, but that's
> more difficult change.

MAKEDEV is a pain in the arse.  Several people (including christos and
myself) have tried to improve it, but its MD nature and the unnecessary
differences between the parts that could be MI make it hard work.

This is made more complicated by the fact that it might be run
on the server for a diskless system.

Having the documentation as a comment in the file doesn't help
making it MI either.

All thoughts of major change all seem to end up with 'it might be easier
to write devfs' - and I've been thinking a bit about that.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk