Subject: [README] MI device major assignment
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/05/2003 10:18:53
Hi,

following recent discussion on MI-assigned majors, I made first step
in the direction.

Majors for MI devices are now assigned centrally for all ports, in
src/sys/dev/majors. This file is automatically included during
kernel config. Any new MI drivers (i.e. drivers usable on more
than one arch) majors should be assigned there instead of
arch/*/conf/majors.ARCH.

The range for MI majors starts at 192. The primary reason
to not start at 256 is that there is no real need for bigger
gap (the biggest MD major is 139 ATM, which is plenty of space),
and that this would avoid major mapping problems for emulations
which use 8bit majors.

Note that this is the device major assignment part only - it's still
necessary to change every 51+ etc/etc.*/MAKEDEV when a new device
is added to kernel. I'm working on that part too, but that's
more difficult change.

Regards,

Jaromir