Subject: Re: On /dev/console, /dev/constty and the TIOCCONS ioctl
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2003 16:22:58
>> Yes, you can.  You run the getty on the underlying hardware device
>> (e.g. /dev/ttyE0) and redirect the console however you like.  [...]
>> Do we actually have any ports left that have a separate "console"
>> device that does *not* have an underlying hardware tty?
> Humbly begging pardon, Sir Lancelot, but the sparc port kind of falls
> under this category:  There is no true underlying hardware tty for
> the framebuffer console (or did I misunderstand you (again)?).

As I understand Thor, you are correct: the sparc port has no tty device
corresponding to the video+keyboard "tty", so it is a "yes" to the "Do
we actually have any..." question.

> I mean, okay, there's the PROM code (or are you qualifying that as
> the "underlying hardware tty"?)...

I think he didn't quite mean "underlying hardware tty", but rather more
like "underlying device which has a separate /dev name of its own,
regardless of what the hardware behind it may be".

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign