Subject: Re: On /dev/console, /dev/constty and the TIOCCONS ioctl
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2003 11:46:25
Thus spake Thor Lancelot Simon ("TLS> ") sometime Today...

TLS> Yes, you can.  You run the getty on the underlying hardware device
TLS> (e.g. /dev/ttyE0) and redirect the console however you like.  It works.
TLS> Something similar would work for sysinst.  Do we actually have any ports
TLS> left that have a separate "console" device that does *not* have an
TLS> underlying hardware tty?

Humbly begging pardon, Sir Lancelot, but the sparc port kind of falls
under this category:  There is no true underlying hardware tty for the
framebuffer console (or did I misunderstand you (again)?).  True,
you can have the "console" redirected to ttya or ttyb...and all
that implies.

I mean, okay, there's the PROM code (or are you qualifying that
as the "underlying hardware tty"?)...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: The power to serve, also.