Subject: Re: On /dev/console, /dev/constty and the TIOCCONS ioctl
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2003 02:09:22
> Uhm, why not just use the real devices?  Once you've installed, your
> console shouldn't be moving around, so using ttyE0 or tty0 or some
> such isn't a big deal.

For most systems, that's true.  But I certainly have a few systems that
relatively frequently switch around where their console is (usually
switching between framebuffer and serial).  Something functionally like
this would definitely be useful for them.

None of which has any bearing on the issues raised by "it's committed"
appearing with no warning or discussion, of course.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign