Subject: Re: On /dev/console, /dev/constty and the TIOCCONS ioctl
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/04/2003 00:22:09
In article <20031003210506.D1713@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>,
David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
>I've committed changes today that add a /dev/constty device, and changed
>/etc/ttys so that getty (and hence any console login session) use it
>instead of /etc/console. init also uses it for single user mode.

This should have been discussed first... I think that the way our console
code behaves is broken, and should be fixed. Adding another device makes
people depend on its existance, and when we fix the console issues differently
becomes just legacy.

In the future, please discuss any such changes so that we can find a good
solution before jumping the gun.

christos