Subject: Re: Speeding up "pstat -T"
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2003 18:20:39
On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 09:41:38AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> >The per-process 'hard' limit should be a fixed number.... say 1024.
>
> Uh... I have applications which run with 6,000 to 10,000 open fds in a
> single process. I don't want to allow any random process or user to
> open that many fds.

Yes, but you probably do at the moment!
Remember a non-root process can increase the 'soft' ulimit values provided
they don't exceed the 'hard' limit.
Root can increase the 'hard' limit as well.

At the moment the defaults are that the soft limit is 64 and the
hard limit kern.maxfiles.  So a random user process can use all the
'files'.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk