Subject: 69030 Dual HiQVideo Support on MIPS arch
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: anand lalgondar <anandlalgondar@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/2003 11:16:33
>>Rishabh Kumar Goel asked;

>>I have a VGA card C&T 69030 chipset. Q1.	Can i use the generic VGA driver.
>>Q2.	I m working of Tx4927 port of netbsd. which has a serial console
>>support. How can i attach it with VGA card or to have on my console on the
>>monitor?

I have few assumtions that I would like to mention:

There are two types of implementation in supporting graphics card:
1. VGA Implementation
2. Framebuffer Implementation

I assume that both are completely independent drivers and design.

If I am correct till this point ,I would like to impelment the framebuffer
desing. Let me continue with the discussion. If I am wrong please let me
know so that I can approach in some other way.

I have a MIPS target board which has a serial port acting as console. The
boot program know as "PMON" gives out a prompt through which I can download
the netbsd kernel and mount the file system through NFS.

Now I want to support 69030 Dual HiQVideo "PCI" card on my target board. I
know that the boot program should take iniative to enable and configure the
registers of the video card (as it happens in i386 arch), but my PMON does
not have support to that extent. It also does not recognize the PCI
controller present in the Processor.

>Having VGA style hardware seems not a good way to go since it's deeply
>bound
>with messy PC-ism which can be avoided by a simpler form.  If you're
>responsible
>for making initial boot programs (PROM, or BIOS in PC term), you have to
>initialize
>and prepare various register settings of the video circuit prior to loading
>NetBSD
>kernel, and then your TX4927 kernel itself does some around xxxcnattach()
>make possible to show characters on screen.   Forget VGA because it's bush,
>and
>go a straight way of linear framebuffer road.

>Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology

Now according to Nishimura San "you have to initialize and prepare various
register settings of the video circuit prior to loading NetBSD kernel " can
I do the register settings of the video circuit inside the netbsd kernel
before calling xxxcnattach() (since my PMON boot program does not support
PCI and hence 69030 PCI Card). If this is possible then how can I get the
base address of the 69030 regsiters to do so, since they are sitting on PCI.

There should be some way to do this and I would like to get that.

Thank you.

- Anand

Get Married!  http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74 Search
from 7 lakh Brides & Grooms.