Subject: Re: Broadcom BCM4401 driver written
To: Cliff Wright <cliff@vixen.snipe444.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2003 18:26:57
Cliff Wright <cliff@vixen.snipe444.org> writes:

> I have written a NetBSD driver for the Broadcom BCM4401 pci
> ethernet 10/100 chip used by my Dell Inpiron 8500 laptop.
> The information to write this was obtained from the Linux driver,
> which of course is GPL'd. I will e-mail the author at Broadcom, and see
> if a BSD license is possible for this NetBSD version.

To try and be slightly more constructive than the other respondents,
if all you did with the (freely avaliable, I assume) Linux driver was
look at it to get information, then you're in the clear as far as
licensing and copyright. The GPL on the Linux driver covers
modifications to and direct derivations of that code, not use of
the information it contains.

I suggest you go ahead and post or send-pr the driver.

        - Nathan