Subject: Re: pciide split
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2003 01:27:01
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:45:09PM -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> What's the mechanism for the user to figure which driver they should
> have in their kernel, if they start from a kernel that doesn't have
> all of them - something stripped-down with just pciide (useful for
> install kernels, maybe?),

Not that much - lots of IDE controller are not standart enouth to work with
a generic pciide driver :(

> or somewhere in -current after new drivers
> have been added? Is this a lookup on the PCI vendor/device numbers of
> the IDE device? Will the pciide driver show those?

The generic pciide driver will show vendor/device numbers, or the
respective strings with PCI_VERBOSE. Some controllers just won't attach at all
and appears a "not configured" (because they claims to be "misc storage"
instead of IDE).
I don't intent to put more informations in the generic pciide. This would
either mean duplicating some info between pciide and the chip-specific
drivers, or put back the whole tables in a central place, which would
mean more space used (for cut-down kernels, and for GENERIC too because the
tables would need to have more informations).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>