Subject: Re: pciide split
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2003 12:57:00
On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 10:44  AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> - should we have separate drivers for SATA ?
>   Right now, we have sata in compat mode only, so it really doesn't
> take much
>   space and doesn't qualify for separate drivers. Also, there is a
> promise
>   device which has both SATA and parallel ATA.
> My opinion on this is that for now we can keep SATA and parallel ATA
> in the
> same drivers. we can split them later if needed.

I don't think SATA should be split out.  Even the ones that use direct
port access (the Intel part has such a mode) really boil down to "each
port is like an independent controller with one master-only channel").
The only difference that's really a hassle is that the offsets of some
of the register changed, but I don't think that warrants a totally
separate driver.