Subject: Kernel threads
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2003 10:49:53
As the number of kernels threads increases (every thread seems to want one)
I wonder if we should switch to a different model.  Instead of having one
thread per "task", maybe we should adopt the common mechanism of having a
crew of worker threads ready to do work.

If higher level code want something to take place in a thread, it would
allocate a "work unit" and queue it to be executed.  (which would a wake
a waiting thread and let it dequeue the work unit and call the routine
indicated in).

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/