Subject: Re: setting up ddb on netbsd 1.6.1 (i386)
To: Sambasiva Rao.B <bsrao@vxindia.veritas.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/2003 18:11:41
On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:30:48PM +0530, Sambasiva Rao.B wrote:
> Nope, changing these options to on/off didn't work.(tried all possible 4
> options though)
>
> desperately waiting for some help
> Samba
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Sambasiva Rao.B wrote:
> >
> > > But on a serial console, sending break not taking into ddb. Does it have
> > > any thing to do with ttys settings? I have these settings
> > >
> > > console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" vt100 off secure
> > >
> > > tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure local
> >
> > Yes, in that your settings indicate that the kernel doesn't think you have
> > a serial console. Yes, there's a serial terminal, but not console. i.e.
> > with the tty00 line off and the console line on, output goes out the
> > serial port.
> >
> > Look at the boot blocks. For 1.6, I think there were special serial
> > console ones.

In order to get DDB to work on a serial port you need to make that serial
port the console.  Unlike other machines where you can set the console
by changing firmware settings, I think you need to reconfigure your
kernel to use a serial port for the console on the i386 port.  Take a
look at the console(4) manpage.

Eduardo