Subject: Laptop: keyboard freeze at boot
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thorsten Glaser <tg-v2003@netcologne.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2003 16:36:19
Hello people,

I hope I picked the correct list for this problem - if not,
please redirect me (but please include me on replies, I'm not
subscribed to this list).

I wanted to install BSD on a laptop which belongs to a friend
of mine. He was using Windows=AE, and we copied some Debian GNU/Linux
system from a CD to his hard disc, and had problems with everything,
for example WLAN. That's why we tried BSD.

Booting MirBSD and OpenBSD (and later, after being unable to install
with the NetBSD floppy described below, FreeBSD) succeeds - either
from floppy or CD-RW - but the keyboard is unusable. Neither the
built-in nor an external PS/2 keyboard worked; since I've never even
seen a USB keyboard, I haven't tested that, but I think it would work.

Well, I booted from the NetBSD "small" floppy (1200K, I think 1.6.1).
By the way, it's an i386 machine (Athlon XP Mobile 1500+), in case
that should not be obvious.

I was unable to install it (openpty failed when trying to write the
disklabel); since I've never installed NetBSD before, we just tried
the FreeBSD CD boot image with the result same as above.

Last resolution (the CD-RW was not available yet when I started the
NetBSD install, but later) I downloaded the NetBSD CD boot floppy
(2880K) and booted from that via CD-RW.

Surprise, the keyboard does not work in a sudden. But it did with
the very small floppy.

Does anyone of you have an explanation and a possible solution?
I don't feel good with leaving him at GNU/Linux, he showed good
learning results and BSD spirit already...

Thanks in advance,
//Thorsten
--=20
[...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick, or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh b=
ut
what about xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in the =
be-
ginning, there was ffs, and in the middle, there was ffs, and at the end, t=
here
was still ffs, and the sys admins knew it was good. :)=09-- Ted Unangst =FC=
ber *fs