Subject: Re: LKM & autoconf ?
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
From: None <collver1@comcast.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2003 07:52:12
On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:11:18AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> I don't really understand your question. autoconf(9) is mainly about
> managing device drivers in a tree. Being a character device is an
> unrelated issue.

You're right, thank you for your patience.  I should have been clear and
just asked to see an example of a LKM device that used autoconf.

I am planning to write an audio capture device organized with a master and
slave side, conceptually similar to pty/tty.  My kernel does contain audio
code, and I had a vague idea that I might try to use audio_attach_mi(),
which does interract with autoconf.  This way I wouldn't have to duplicate
the code for buffering or rate conversion, and my master device special
file could be /dev/audio1.

If it is not easy to use autoconf from an LKM, and that in turn makes it
not easy to use audio_attach_mi(), then I imagine my options are to either
skip using audio_attach_mi() or to make this driver a patch to the kernel
rather than a LKM.

Is this making sense, and do you have any advice?

Thank you much,

Ben
--
"May your buffers always be filled on a 4 byte boundary."  --Greg