Subject: Re: SCSI and IDE/ATAPI rototillage
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2003 07:40:33
On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 03:30  AM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Yes, and the kernel thread will help for this too. But I have no ETA
> for this
> yet. I'd like to get hot-plug before.

OK.  Hot-plug for SATA is something I've been thinking about.  You need
some chip-specific code to detect the PHY status change.

Regarding tagged queueing, the Intel SATA chip (31244) has a mode
called "DPA mode", which basically presents 4 logical controllers, one
for each SATA port, with slightly different register offsets than the
PCI IDE-compatible mode ("legacy mode").  In DPA mode, the 31244
supports tagged queueing, and the performance is quite good when it is
used.