Subject: Re: Porting a modem driver from Linux to NetBSD
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-kern@bjan.net>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/17/2003 18:57:37
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:21:21PM +0530, Kamal R Prasad wrote:

> Can someone explain the finer points of where BSD license wins over GPL
> esp when modifying the kernel [for some proprietry work -which may or
may
> not reach a customer]?

>What do you mean by "wins"? If you mean mean that you want to develop
>proprietry software, it's hard to find a place where the BSD license
>doesn't win (except possibly in the advertising clause).

wins meaning - a good reason to opt for writing stuff in the BSD
environment rather than in Linux. The folks Im working with are familiar
with Linux, not with *BSD and I have to give them a good reason why the
GPL won't do.

>You may use all the BSD-licensed code you like in proprietry software,
>but it is only possible to do the same with the GPL if you go through
>some exotic contortions: the code in question is a good example.

>Unless you are more specific, it will be hard for anyone else to talk
>about fine points at all.

We are working on a prototype -which may or may not have commercial value.
If the prototype is viable -the company charges money from others for
using the functionality [src code not revealed]. If not, we still do not
want to give away the src code -but may not earn any money in doing so.
The GPL probably makes things difficult in the first case, but is
equivalent to the BSD license in the 2nd case [ie no obligation to reveal
the in-house development to anybody]. If this isn't the case, pl. clarify.

thanks
-kamal

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+public@bjan.net> http://bjan.net