Subject: Re: pullup request for isp_pci.c
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/15/2003 12:36:39
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:54:11AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:

> Thus I see no reason why my response to him should be called "abusive" yet his
> two responses to me shouldn't.

Well, let's see.  A good bit of it, from my point of view, is your overall
attitude.  Matt isn't being paid for this -- contrary to your direct
assertion, this is *not* his "job".  By wasting his time sending mail back
and forth over a pullup for something so completely trivial, instead of
batching it together with others as he usually does, he'd be doing you a
favor.  Particularly since you could maintain said trivial change in your
local source tree if it were that important to you that _your_ system print
out something different; this isn't a binary-only operating system, after
all!

Generally, when you want a favor from someone you _ask nicely_.  Not
demand, not whine, not complain -- you ask.  Your original message sure
didn't come across that way to me and there's really no question that any
of your subsequent ones would, either.

Hint: telling developers in a volunteer project that doing what you want
is their "job" is not likely to be effective.

Thor