Subject: Re: To postmaster@weird.com
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/2003 14:13:26
>> Sorry about the post to this list, but mail.weird.com is indeed
>> being weird.

> You're not the only one.

> I refuse to make my primary hostname always match my MX because
> "that's why we have MX records in the first place."

Huh?  It didn't look to me as though that's what Greg is doing now.

It appears to me that he's now requiring that the HELO string be one of
the rDNS names for the client-SMTP address.  (AIUI, it used to be that
he was requiring that the client-SMTP address be one of the HELO name's
addresses, which is a bit more reasonable.)  I don't see MX records in
there anywhere.

> 64.139.13.178 = lothlorien.starwolf.com.
> 64.139.13.178 = mail.starwolf.com.
> 64.139.13.178 = irc.starwolf.com.
> 64.139.13.178 = ftp.starwolf.com.
> 64.139.13.178 = www.starwolf.com.
> 64.139.13.178 = starwolf.com.

Not as far as I can tell.

64.139.13.178 = lothlorien.starwolf.com, yes, but none of the other
names.  (All the names have that address, but the address has only the
one name.)  I'm not sure whether I think this means you need to be
HELOing as lothlorien.starwolf.com or not, though absent justification
I do think Greg is somewhat over the top requiring it.

> And it's dawned on me that *I shouldn't have to fix this*.  My mail
> is accepted by 99.995% of the charted and uncharted universe, so I've
> left well enough alone.

That doesn't make it right.  Almost all mailers will accept arbitrary
HELO strings, too, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't fix a host
that HELOs with a nonsyntactic argument.

Surely this doesn't belong on tech-mern.  Maybe we need a misc@ or
meta-issues@ list? :-/

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign