Subject: Re: To postmaster@weird.com
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/2003 08:54:33
Thus spake Olaf Seibert ("OS> ") sometime Today...

OS> Sorry about the post to this list, but mail.weird.com is indeed being
OS> weird. See below.

You're not the only one.

I refuse to make my primary hostname always match my MX because "that's
why we have MX records in the first place."

OS> Of course I am not going to change the name of the mailer to
OS> gw.polderland.nl because polderland.nl is, in fact, the proper name.
OS> Using another one would imply that it would appear in all sorts of
OS> places, besides HELO, where it would be completely wrong to do so.

64.139.13.178 = lothlorien.starwolf.com.
64.139.13.178 = mail.starwolf.com.
64.139.13.178 = irc.starwolf.com.
64.139.13.178 = ftp.starwolf.com.
64.139.13.178 = www.starwolf.com.
64.139.13.178 = starwolf.com.

I have, on a couple of occasions, attempted to revert to "starwolf.com."
for this address, but it's been quick, and I haven't taken the time to
sit down and figure out why it gets "MX loops back to myself" or some
such from sendmail/DNS.

And it's dawned on me that *I shouldn't have to fix this*.  My mail is
accepted by 99.995% of the charted and uncharted universe, so I've left
well enough alone.

I'm sure such MTA behaviour is something of a spamblocker, but it's also
hostile to probably about 25% of the systems out there who don't have
their hostname and domainname match, or who don't have their mail host
as the first one to match their address.

[I suspect the number's probably higher than 25% but I'm being nice.]

				--*greywolf;
--
The age of the Elves must be upon us again.  It is crucial to our survival.