Subject: Re: increasing a process's max data size
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/2003 09:08:54
[cc'd to tech-kern@netbsd.org]

Thus spake Ray Phillips ("RP> ") sometime Today...

RP> This change does allow squid to use more memory and everything is
RP> fine, except that is, when it's using more than 256 MB RAM and I send
RP> it a signal such as
RP>
RP>    # squid -k reconfigure

1.  Is anyone seeing this on any other platform?

RP> in which case the machine crashes and has to be power cycled.  If
RP> squid is using less than 256 MB sending it a signal causes no
RP> problems, so I've obviously missed something important.  Could you
RP> tell me what, please?

2.  D'ya think this more accurately reflects on the engineering of
    squid?  It sounds like either you're maintaining an in-core Cache
    Of Unusual Size, or there's a SERIOUS leak and/or abuse of
    available memory.

RP> I've tried this on a NetBSD/i386 machine and found the same problem
RP> exists there.

RP> Ray

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: making all computer hardware a commodity.