Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 19:47:14
In message: <200308252313.TAA13280@Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
            der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
: Is there anyone here who has actually read the relevant regulations and
: who thus can put the uninformed speculation to rest?  I know I haven't
: (though in my case it wouldn't be the FCC...).

The entire system needs FCC certification to operate legally.  The
entire system includes all computer hardware, connectors, cables and
antennas.  Most folks in the US do not completely comply with this
(since the entire system must be purchased with an FCC approval), but
operate at a lower level (where all system components are approved,
just not as a full system).  This is the same reason that all 802.11
cards with external connectors that are non-standard...

As part of the certification process, the FCC needs to make sure that
the radio does not operate outside of its assigned frequencies (since
no license is required, there is less leverage over operators than in
licensed operations).  Since the US military was concerned about
interference with its radar operations, the FCC was much more
retentive about this round of approvals than it was over the 802.11b
approvals.  Since the newer systems are software radios, the FCC has
extracted guarantees from the hardware vendors that they will treat as
a trade secret the know-how to change the frequency outside of the
assigned areas.

Warner