Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 16:01:03
In message: <200308251920.PAA12403@Sparkle.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
            der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
: >>> [...binary-only driver...]  By FCC regulations, [...]
: > They have restrictions, as I understand it, that you can't let out
: > drivers that can tune to inapropriate channels or set the power too
: > high.  While they don't own the driver, they do control the (radio)
: > license the vendor needs to be able to sell the card. :-|
:
: ...in the USA.
:
: Which we all know is all there is to the world. :-|

Actaully, the hal supports all the regulatory domains, not just the
ones in the US.  Also, there are similar requirements by other
regulatory domains that authorize the unlicensed use of these
frequencies.

Warner