Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 14:59:11
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:42:16PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> Hehheh.  And the FCC has no claim to preventing import of a source-level
> (hacked) driver, or even an adjusted binary, from outside the US.

Well, I don't know anything about this, but I'll speculate anyway :)
It seems to me that the FCC can't put any restrictions on the driver,
but they probably can say that running the wireless card with a
modified driver is an uncertified configuration, and hence illegal.
From what I understand, usage of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands doesn't
require a license for the end user, but does require FCC
approval/certification of the radio. So do what you want with the
driver, but as soon as you start broadcasting RF, the FCC has a say in
what you do.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++