Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 20:23:30
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 08:07:59PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> No, I couldn't distribute the (binary) kernel - I can make it easy for the
> user to build his own kernel (since he already got the "bad" file on his
> driver disk with the hardware).

I just noticed that I had something different in mind than Bruce: I'm voting
for an "empty" directory with special Makefile treatment where the user dropy
in his binary module (in whatever format) before building his own kernel.

This module should not be checked in to the NetBSD cvs repository!

This is (only slightly) different to the case where the binary module may
be redistributed in unmodified form, or the case where it may not be
redistributed, but fetched on the fly (by Makefile magic) from the vendors
web site.

Martin