Subject: Re: recent systrace changes
To: Charles Blundell <cb@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 11:09:01
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Charles Blundell wrote:

> I have just committed a fix for a race condition in systrace.
> Unfortunately, as a result of this, part of the interface between
> the systrace binary and the kernel has changed.
>
> So the systrace binary and kernel need to be in sync for systrace
> to continue to work.  If not, you will most likely see an error
> like the following when you try to use systrace:
>
> 	systrace: nbsd_replace: ioctl: Invalid argument
>
> Should I bump the kernel version for this change?

We've talked about this in the past. The kernel version is really only
supposed to note LKM incompatabilities, but since we don't have any other
kernel version notation, it often gets used to note this kind of
incompatability.

I'd say bump the version. It will make life less confusing for end users.

Take care,

Bill