Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: None <bjan+tech-kern@bjan.net>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 09:43:47
In message: <20030825024150.GA12988@bjan.net>
            "Bruce J.A. Nourish" <bjan+tech-kern@bjan.net> writes:
: Also, I believe FreeBSD's loader(8) can insert modules into the kernel
: at boot. Would anyone want such a feature in NetBSD? The only use I
: can think of would be to let people with binary-only network drivers
: install/netboot NetBSD. It would certainly be nice, though.

Yes.  FreeBSD's loader can and does do that.  You can also unload the
modules loaded at boot anytime and replace them (assuming that the
module isn't busy).  This has been useful for me when debugging
drivers that I typically use all the time.

Warner