Subject: Re: Binary only drivers in sys?
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <bjan+tech-kern@bjan.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 12:05:47
Le Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:41:50 -0700
Bruce J.A. Nourish a ecrit :
[...]
> I've considered LKM's as potentially the ideal solution to the problem,
> but there are no examples of LKM network drivers. Could such a thing
> be made reasonably easily? How would I go about it?

The only thing you don't have with a LKM is the autoconfig stuff. So the
layer between the LKM and the driver is a probe function. The rest of the
process is rather dynamic (it has to, for removable devices anyway).

For PCI it is easy to do with pci_find_device (see how I do it for the
NVidia stuff).

For PCMCIA and Cardbus, it might be more difficult, though scanning the
bus is always a possibility, I guess.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.