Subject: Re: pppoe LCP keepalive timer lossage
To: Jesse Off <joff@stchome.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/25/2003 09:17:56
On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:36:40PM -0700, Jesse Off wrote:
> Shouldn't it only be reset when the pppoe0 interface receives a packet?

That's arguable. Maybe we should do that.
The logic is: as long as you saturate your link either by sending or
receiving (or a combination there of), we don't want to count losing LCP
echo replies as an error.

Now, of course, none of the typical protocols in use over a PPPoE link will
send > 30 seconds but not receive anything, so we could opt for only using
incoming traffic to reset the counter.

But I think this has to be an option, or we need two timers (one "no incoming
traffic since..." and one "last LCP echo request answered") and more fine
grained logic.

Anyway - you have not shown that this would actually solve your problem.
Did your tcpdump while looking for LCP echo requests show any PPPoE traffic?
Did it show incoming traffic?

Martin