Subject: Re: Wskbd
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: anand lalgondar <anandlalgondar@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/24/2003 15:24:52
Hello,

Well I tried to open the /dev/console and was succesful in output the
characters. But that was a program written in shell, using open and ioctl
system calls.

But if I have to accomplish the above mentiond with in the ukbd driver or in
wskbd driver, how can I go about this. This question is because:

1. Using "open" system call, it will return an integer (file descriptor)
that will be an offset to the set of open devices for the current process.
And "ioctl" will take this file descriptor as the first argument, a flag and
a pointer as second and the third respectively. How can I call these system
calls in the device driver, as these are ment for userlevel access. Even if
it is possible to call these system call thru the device driver program then
it is in-effecient since the system will generate a trap to go to kernel
level even though its executing the driver is the same mode.

2.  How to get the file descriptor that is to be passed in the ioctl system
call?

Thank you.

Regards
Anand Lalgondar