Subject: Re: Wskbd
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, martin@duskware.de>
From: anand lalgondar <anandlalgondar@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/22/2003 10:10:07
Hello,

Martin: Well, I don't have a graphics card, and I think the "split console"
concept depends on the graphics card.

On the i386 host machine I use "minicom" to communicate with the MIPS Target
Board, which gets all the file information from NFS. So the keyboard of the
i386 host machine acts as an input device to the MIPS Target Board (Minicom
connection serial-serial, 38400/8/N). The MIPS Target Board has a machine
dependent serial driver written that accepts-input and outputs-data to
minicom. So the console here is the transmit/receive line of the serial
port. That is fine.

But since I am testing USB Keyboard how can I redirect the output to the
above mentioned console.

Does USB Keyboard driver decode the inputs to ASCII values and pass it to
the upper layer (wskbd), or are they decoded in wskbd.

Is USB Keyboard completely independent. In the sense will it decode the
input characters  completely and place it in a buffer that can be sent to
any device (either a character or a display device), without the help of
wskbd (wscons framework).

I assume the wskbd works within the wscons framework, i.e if there is no
wsdisplay then the whole wscons framework is not useful.

Can you provide some inputs regarding this.

Well thanks for both of you to getting involved in this discussion.

Anand Lalgondar

>From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
>To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
>CC: anand lalgondar <anandlalgondar@hotmail.com>, tech-kern@NetBSD.org
>Subject: Re: Wskbd
>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:29:43 +0200
>
>You could use a serial line as the keyboard for a console by writing
>a small program that accepts characters from the tty and injects them
>into the wskbd mux.  A similar program, moused, already exists for
>serial mice.
>
>    -- Lennart
>
>Martin Husemann wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 05:54:07PM +0530, anand lalgondar wrote:
>>

>>>Now when I connect a USB keyboard it gets detected as "wskbd0 at ukbd0"
>>>in the dmesg. But when I press any key on the USB Keyboard it doesn't
>>>display anything. I assume this is because I dont have any wsdisplay.
>>>

>>I see. This is what is sometimes called "split console" on sparcs, where
>>you
>>can select at the firmware level to have input from serial console and
>>output
>>to the graphics card - or vice versa.
>>
>>I think unfortunately wscons does not provide this ability currently, but
>>it
>>is a desirable extension.
>>

>>Martin

Dress up your desktop! Get the best wallpapers.
http://server1.msn.co.in/msnchannels/Entertainment/wallpaperhome.asp Just
click here!