Subject: Re: Intel 82801DB AC-97 Audio
To: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/13/2003 22:35:03
    Date:        Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:31:52 +0200
    From:        "Ian McIntosh" <ianm@cat.co.za>

  | I have two questions: Firstly I am concerned as to the impact of this
  | ''hack". I think it should not really affect much else but would like
  | the experts opinions.

Not really a hack, just a back porting of a feature to an earlier version.
And no, that shouldn't affect anything else (if your audio is working,
you'll be fine).

  | Secondly I was wondering when the 1.6 branch of cvs will be updated to
  | include the fix for this audio device?

This is someone else's call - but perhaps sometime, perhaps never (support
for new stuff doesn't always get added to older systems).   I suspect it
largely depends upon how much work someone is willing to do to demonstrate
that it works, and exactly what is needed to make it integrate smoothly.

And then send a PR with the changes and a request for a pullup to the
1.6 branch.

Then someone gets to look at that and make a decision.

kre