Subject: problem with ffs after increasing MAXBSIZE & MAXPHYS
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Trent George <soundsampler@sbcglobal.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/09/2003 16:56:47
--0-45968467-1060473407=:36224

Hi,

Recently I have been experimenting with freebsd with a larger MAXBSIZE

specifically with newfs -b262144
My steps were to increase both MAXBSIZE and MAXPHYS in sys/param.h
buildworld and buildkernel and install.
in freebsd: newfs, mount, and all filesystem works fine with large blocksize.

I have attempted the same task in NetBSD and seem to have the following problems
1/ newfs seems to format the device with larger block size
   but seems once disklabel reports blocksize over 64k, subsequent newfs fails
2/ using dd on the raw device seems to take advantage of the larger maxphys
3/ after mounting the filesystem, no luck, with anything
"ls -l /mnt" reports "Invalid Argument",
filesystem is unusable.
the only "working" element was a "df" of a mounted filesystem from freebsd newfs'd
MAXBSIZE (sys/param.h) is defined as MAXPHYS (arch/i386/include/param.h)

Has anyone had any experience with larger maxbsize ? (ie 256k)
Or a clue what may be the problem (vm, ffs, kern_bio)
Beyond the response of "why would anyone want to do that", is there
something simple I am overlooking, or is 64k "hardcoded" somewhere in netbsd

warning I have corrupted adjacent filesystems during experimentation.
I suggest anyone testing use a second physical drive for testing.
I also had to "hand" edit disklabel sometimes to allow me to newfs again

I am currently using 1.6U on i386
I compiled and installed a modified kernel then rebuilt userland with
cd /usr/src
./build.sh distribution
./build.sh install=/

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Trent

--0-45968467-1060473407=:36224

<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Recently I have been experimenting with freebsd with a larger MAXBSIZE</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>specifically with newfs -b262144</DIV>
<DIV>My steps were to increase both MAXBSIZE and MAXPHYS in sys/param.h</DIV>
<DIV>buildworld and buildkernel and install.</DIV>
<DIV>in freebsd: newfs, mount, and all filesystem works fine with large blocksize.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have attempted the same task in NetBSD and seem to have the following problems</DIV>
<DIV>1/ newfs seems to format the device with larger block size</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; but seems once disklabel reports blocksize over 64k, subsequent newfs fails</DIV>
<DIV>2/ using dd on the raw device seems to take advantage of the larger maxphys</DIV>
<DIV>3/ after mounting the filesystem, no luck, with anything</DIV>
<DIV>"ls -l /mnt"&nbsp;reports "Invalid Argument",</DIV>
<DIV>filesystem is unusable.</DIV>
<DIV>the only "working" element was a "df" of a mounted filesystem from freebsd newfs'd</DIV>
<DIV>MAXBSIZE (sys/param.h)&nbsp;is defined as MAXPHYS (arch/i386/include/param.h)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Has anyone had any experience with larger maxbsize ? (ie 256k)</DIV>
<DIV>Or a clue what may be the problem (vm, ffs, kern_bio)</DIV>
<DIV>Beyond the response of "why would anyone want to do that", is there</DIV>
<DIV>something simple I am overlooking, or is 64k "hardcoded" somewhere in netbsd</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>warning I have corrupted adjacent filesystems during experimentation.</DIV>
<DIV>I suggest anyone testing use a second physical drive for testing.</DIV>
<DIV>I also had to "hand" edit disklabel sometimes to allow me to newfs again</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am currently using 1.6U on i386 </DIV>
<DIV>I compiled and installed a modified kernel then rebuilt userland with</DIV>
<DIV>cd /usr/src</DIV>
<DIV>./build.sh distribution</DIV>
<DIV>./build.sh install=/</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any tips would be greatly appreciated</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Trent</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>