Subject: Re: Possible USB quirk
To: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/05/2003 07:35:47
--==_Exmh_52465549527P

In message <200308050929.11742.bradd@cat.co.za>, you write:

-> Hi,
->
-> I've got two different MultiTech USB devices. One is a PSTN MTA5634ZBA-USB
-> modem and the other is an ISDN MTA128ST-USB.
->
-> Now, running on NetBSD 1.6, the PSTN device is detected fine, no problems, b
-> ut
-> the ISDN device gets the kernel to return the following message :
->
-> uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1
->
-> After sticking in a few printouts in the kernel I found (from what I can
-> see) when a new usb device is detected, the kernel expects a certain
-> amount of transfers from the device, each of a certain size.
->
-> Now the PSTN device (the one that works) first transmits 8 bytes followed
-> by 18 bytes followed by a whole lot of other transfers of varying sizes.
-> I assume these all contain product, vendor info etc.. Now the ISDN device
-> transmits the 8 bytes for the first transfer but only seems to transmit 8
-> bytes for the second when the kernel is expecting 18 bytes.
->
-> Now what I'd like to know is if this is a quirk, and how exactly I can set
-> this up to properly detect the device.

I've CC'ed Lennart, the NetBSD USB guru because this isn't the first time
this sort of bug has been reported, and I've got a USB devices that also
seem to suffer a similar fate.  Hopefully, Lennart will have a "oh, that's
easy, just add this" answer :-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill

--==_Exmh_52465549527P

--==_Exmh_52465549527P--