Subject: Possible USB quirk
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Brad du Plessis <bradd@cat.co.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/05/2003 09:29:11
Hi,

I've got two different MultiTech USB devices. One is a PSTN MTA5634ZBA-US=
B=20
modem and the other is an ISDN MTA128ST-USB.

Now, running on NetBSD 1.6, the PSTN device is detected fine, no problems=
, but=20
the ISDN device gets the kernel to return the following message :

uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

After sticking in a few printouts in the kernel I found (from what I can =
see)=20
when a new usb device is detected, the kernel expects a certain amount of=
=20
transfers from the device, each of a certain size.

Now the PSTN device (the one that works) first transmits 8 bytes followed=
 by=20
18 bytes followed by a whole lot of other transfers of varying sizes. I=20
assume these all contain product, vendor info etc.. Now the ISDN device=20
transmits the 8 bytes for the first transfer but only seems to transmit 8=
=20
bytes for the second when the kernel is expecting 18 bytes.

Now what I'd like to know is if this is a quirk, and how exactly I can se=
t=20
this up to properly detect the device.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks