Subject: Re: Supermicro Motherboard IDE Errors
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/05/2003 10:01:15
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > We put a couple of Seagate Barracudas in a Supermicro box and beat on them
> > real hard, and had no problems.
> >
> > > If you can't get the disks remplaced (eventually with some from another
> > > manufacturer), I'd try to force a lower UDMA mode with flags in the kernel
> > > config file (see wd(4))
> >
> > Yeah, we'll probably try that, and maybe see if another OS has the same
> > problem. We're just about to free up a machine with a pair of these
> > drives, so we can spend some time doing some testing. If you wanted
> > access to it to try to help debug this, we could arrange that. (Or if
> > anybody else wants to give it a go, too.) We don't have the expertise in
> > house to try to fix the problem, unfortunately, but we're willing to try
> > to help anybody who wants to give it a go.
>
> We could look at a few things, but I fear it's really a hardware bug.
> It may be dependant on the implementation of the motherboard, I've already
> seen this (some drives with fails with the onboard promise controllers, but
> works with an add-on promise - same promise chip, same revision), though
> in this case there was data transmission error on the bus, the drives
> didn't report errors themselves. But you may have a drive firmware bug in
> addition to other problems.

I see the same problem as Curt, and with different model (but same
family) disks (IBM IC35L120AVV207 vs IC35L080AVVA07) and different
controller (Intel 82801DB vs 82801BA), with new and old cables.

It appears that IBM disks on Intel IDE controllers would seem to be a
reasonably standard Supermicro configuration.  It seems too much of a
coincidence that Curt and I are just unlucky - maybe we can play with
UDMA modes or setup or something (note that I haven't looked very deeply
in the pciide driver and don't know what is possible)?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/