Subject: Re: Making vnodes freeable (Was: Re: CVS commit: src/sys)
To: None <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/04/2003 23:14:27
hi,

> Hmm, I somehow thought that the discussion about this was closed
> with conclusion that the added memory requirements for every vnode
> are not really worth the added functionality.
>
> Or do I recall incorrectly?

i didn't see such conclusion.

Simon Burge suggested to make it optional.  and i answered that
i don't think it's worth to be optional and it's a first step to
make vnode allocation more dynamically.  then the discussion came to an end.
so i thought that he had been convinced.

matthew green once expressed a doubt about its worth.
but he said a positive comment (privately) after that.  then i thought that
he had changed his mind.

Bill Studenmund suggested "heavyly-poolify" approach.
afaik, what i committed isn't conflict with his idea.

i can't recall any other objections.

please correct me if i'm wrong.
(actually, i'm often wrong esp. when talking in english... sorry)

YAMAMOTO Takashi