Subject: Re: Supermicro Motherboard IDE Errors
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/03/2003 20:37:39
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:53:49PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > .[...]
> > .
> > wd0e: error reading fsbn 13150064 of 13150064-13150079 (wd0 bn
> > 13282112; cn 13176 tn 11 sn 11), retrying
> > wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
> > wd0e: error reading fsbn 13150064 of 13150064-13150079 (wd0 bn
> > 13282112; cn 1317
> > 6 tn 11 sn 11), retrying
> > wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
> > wd0e: error reading fsbn 13150064 of 13150064-13150079 (wd0 bn
> > 13282112; cn 1317
> > 6 tn 11 sn 11), retrying
> > wd0: (uncorrectable data error)
>
> Hi,
> maybe a bit late, but I have some infos to add.
> "uncorrectable data error" is an error returned by the disk, it's not
> a problem with data transfer on the bus or with the controller.
> So I think it's really
> a disk issue. Maybe the media is bad, maybe it's a firmware bug, maybe it's
> something else. But it's disk-related.

Well, it seems to be both disk and controller related. We're using
at least fifteen disks of this series on machines other than the
supermicro, and none of them have ever had any problems. Yet any
Supermicro machine that we put these disks into will eventually have the
problem if it does any reasonable amount of disk I/O. (I don't know if
it happens under OSes other than NetBSD, however.)

We put a couple of Seagate Barracudas in a Supermicro box and beat on them
real hard, and had no problems.

> If you can't get the disks remplaced (eventually with some from another
> manufacturer), I'd try to force a lower UDMA mode with flags in the kernel
> config file (see wd(4))

Yeah, we'll probably try that, and maybe see if another OS has the same
problem. We're just about to free up a machine with a pair of these
drives, so we can spend some time doing some testing. If you wanted
access to it to try to help debug this, we could arrange that. (Or if
anybody else wants to give it a go, too.) We don't have the expertise in
house to try to fix the problem, unfortunately, but we're willing to try
to help anybody who wants to give it a go.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org