Subject: RE: how can kernel space expand to >1GB?
To: Ming Lei , 'Stephan Uphoff' <ups@stups.com>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/31/2003 22:41:35
 --- Ming Lei <mlei@Brocade.COM> wrote: >
> thanks all. think remaping work is expensive though.

Ok, here is what I think is being asked: can you make the kernel's
virtual address space larger than 1 GB i.e. can you make the "purely
virtual kernel space" _larger_, so that you can map/unmap _more_
physical pages later. How do you bump the virtual memory limit of the
kernel itself: how can you increase the size of the kernel's own page
tables? How can you make the kernel's virtual address space larger in
NetBSD so that you can say allocate 2GB of kernel memory on i386
instead of the current 1GB limit?
Remapping is not the issue: you cannot map anything into the kernel if
its address space is exhausted. FreeBSD and Linux ("ports"?) have knobs
to do this, does NetBSD also?