Subject: how can kernel space expand to >1GB?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Ming Lei <mlei@Brocade.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/31/2003 09:34:10

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35781.91BA9DF0

Is there a way for kernel to address larger than 1GB physical memory? I know
there is an option to split kernel/user space? Is this the only place I need
to change or there are other things need to consider? Do I need to recompile
any application running on top of this modified kernel? Share library
issues?

On i386 platform, where is the kernel space page table that use for MMU
mapping? How big is the actual kernel space?

Sorry for the bunch of questions.

Ming

------_=_NextPart_001_01C35781.91BA9DF0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>how can kernel space expand to &gt;1GB?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Is there a way for kernel to address =
larger than 1GB physical memory? I know there is an option to split =
kernel/user space? Is this the only place I need to change or there are =
other things need to consider? Do I need to recompile any application =
running on top of this modified kernel? Share library =
issues?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">On i386 platform, where is the kernel =
space page table that use for MMU mapping? How big is the actual kernel =
space?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sorry for the bunch of =
questions.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ming</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C35781.91BA9DF0--