Subject: Re: how do I disable preemptive scheduling for the currently executing kproc?
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Tad Hunt <tad@entrisphere.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/17/2003 16:15:55
In message <20030718003944.A10817@vaasje.org>, you said:
;NetBSD currently does not preempt processes while they're in the kernel,
;so it seems to me that you can simply define these primitives as no-ops.

You mean that if a kernel thread created with a call kthread_create1()
will run until it volunteerly yields the CPU?  It won't get preempted?
crap.  The threads I need to mark preemptable or not have no
association with user space, they are born and die entirely in the
kernel.

I looked, but I don't see where the kernel makes the decision not
to reschedule a process which is executing in kernel space.

If this is really true I have another problem.  Is there a way to
make kernel threads preemptable?

-Tad