Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2003 04:11:43
[ On Friday, July 11, 2003 at 16:20:43 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
>
> Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...
>
> GAW> Unlink(2) may specifically also operate on files as well as the link in
> GAW> the parent directory, and it will always also operate on the file if
> GAW> that file has only one link.
>
> No, it doesn't.

You've obviously forgotten what a file is (in a unix filesystem),
despite my many attempts to remind you.  You cannot, and must not,
attempt to separate a file from its metadata in a unix filesystem.

> Whether or not we need funlink(2), though, remains to be seen.
> I rather suspect we really don't.

Nobody, least of all me, has ever said we do.

> Where does access(2) win over *stat(2)?  I don't understand that at all.

Never.  But not for the reasons you seem to be implying.

faccess(), on the other hand....

> faccess(2) would be moot, wouldn't it, given fstat(2)?

no, not really, as I've already explained.

As I've already said:  perhaps.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods