Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
To: Greywolf <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2003 19:56:57
[ On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 15:51:11 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
> Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...
> GAW> I was thinking more along the lines that /foo/bar/.. and /foo/bar refer
> GAW> to the same directory (assuming /foo/bar isn't a mount point)
> Really?
> cd /var/tmp/..
> Where are you now? :)

Yes, well you knew what I meant.  :-)

> Well, yeah, of course; the point, though, which has been sidestepped here,
> is that you can't use a dev-ino to come up with a unique name, even though
> you can use a name to come up with a unique dev-ino pair.

Nothing's been sidestepped here.  Perhaps you've forgotten either one
of:  (a) the option of caching open filenames; or (b) the qualifier that
funlink() could/should fail/misbehave if the inode has multiple hard

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>